Server Engineer # JN -032020-52636
- Responsible for the engineering of server infrastructure. Designs infrastructures including hardware, software, and various configurations. Ensures that the design and integration of proposed solutions leads to the development and growth of the business through effective use of technology. Facilitates the optimization of business unit performance by enhancing the alignment between business systems and information technology. Evaluates new products, performs server problem resolution and assists in the development and documentation of technical standards and interface applications.
- This position will be responsible for roadmap design, solution and implementation of Unix operating system. The person will act as the system expert in Unix and provide recommendations for current solutions and future technology planning. Also responsible for developing solutions for compliance and remediation for the different operating systems.
- Product Ownership-Create and maintain product roadmaps/lifecycle
- Create Compliance Documentation
- Project Efforts
- Disaster Recovery Plans
- Assist with HW/SW inventory
- Vendor relationships
- A lot of last minute requests that need quick turnaround due to project timelines
- Contractor MUST be flexible and excel in this type of environment
- MUST be able to handle and prioritize workload to meet required timelines
- Candidate needs extensive knowledge in RHEL 6/7, and AIX 7.1 and 7.2; BigFix deployment tool or equivalent.
- Prior I/T experience in an organization larger than 10K users
- Prior Unix experience on RHEL and Solaris
- Prior Compliance Experience
- Prior scripting experience
- Unix experience to include Solaris platform
- UNIX (RHEL, AIX, Solaris)
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of server systems and applications. Able to perform high-level server planning, design, and optimization. Able to suggest plans to integrate new and existing designs and provide input into highly complex and high impacting decisions. Advanced technical knowledge of servers, communications, and related hardware and software. Strong knowledge of emerging technologies for applications to the enterprise. Capable of taking on the role of project leader for special enterprise-wide assignments. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate technical issues with non-technical people. Strong understanding of technical problems and solutions in relation to the current, as well as the future business environment. High level of understanding of organization business systems and processes as well as industry-wide requirements. Proficiency with server technologies and platforms.
Required Software and Tools:
- Advanced understanding of relevant server hardware and software.
Primary working relationships:
- This position will primarily work closely with our Analyst that assigns the work, matrix personnel, the Platform team and customers from all LOB s.
- 25% Responsible for server planning, design and engineering. Determines feasibility from technical and economic perspectives. Evaluates equipment specifications and process requirements to conceive a practical design. Compiles and analyzes operational data and directs tests to establish standard for new designs or modifications to existing equipment, systems, or processes.
- 25% Plans and evaluates complex server systems and makes recommendations for resources required to develop, maintain and/or expand service levels. Provides consultative support to facilitate design and to resolve design problems. May also monitor server performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made, and to determine where changes will need to be made in the future.
- 20% Plans, coordinates, and implements server security measures. Anticipates and mitigates potential issues through server or other connections to ensure the security of the system. Provides strategic planning and participation for disaster recovery operations.
- 10% Updates knowledge and skills to keep up with rapid advancements in technology. Researches, evaluates and recommends software and hardware products. Provides counsel and leadership on future use of technology and system improvements.
- 10% Ensures compliance with audit requirements. Addresses vulnerabilities within audit-mandated time frames. Maintain effective security/backup and disaster recovery processes and systems.
- 5% Provides guidance to technical support personnel as needed. May lead the gathering of business needs as well as the design of solutions through direct interaction with business unit leaders.
- 5% Maintains effective relationships with suppliers to ensure appropriate levels of support. Plans large scale systems projects through vendor comparison and cost studies. May interface with vendors to identify and purchase hardware and software
- Demonstrates flexibility/prioritization skills
- Able to work in an environment with competing priorities
- Demonstrates initiative
- Good team player
- Positive attitude
- Comfortable with process ambiguity